Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
top of page

Student finance, loans and bursaries


Students on a low income


You can apply for:


Universal Credit


Extra help if you're experiencing financial hardship


Students with children or dependent adults


You can apply for:


Childcare Grant - full-time students only


Parents' Learning Allowance - full-time students only


Adult Dependants' Grant - full-time students only


Extra help if you're experiencing financial hardship


Disabled students


If you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty (such as dyslexia) you can apply for:

Disabled Students' Allowance


Extra help if you're experiencing financial hardship


You may also qualify for disability-related benefits.


Medical, social work and teacher training students


You can apply for:


NHS bursaries if you're studying certain medical, dentistry or healthcare courses


Help with costs of travel to UK clinical placements if you're studying a medical, dentistry or healthcare course


Social work bursaries if you're a social work student


Extra help if you're a teacher training student


Students studying abroad


You might get a grant to cover some travel expenses if you usually live in England but study away from home.

Help from your university or college

Many universities and colleges offer extra money directly to students.


Funding from charitable trusts


Use the Turn2us grant search to check whether you qualify for funding from a charitable trust.


If you're a student from England, you can apply online for the following academic years:


  • 2021 to 2022

  • 2020 to 2021


You can apply for:


  • Tuition Fee Loans

  • Maintenance Loans

  • Maintenance Grants (only if your course started before 1 August 2016)


You can apply up to 9 months after the start of the academic year for your course.


Advanced Learner Loan


You can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to help with the costs of a course at a college or training provider in England.


Loan eligibility does not depend on your income and there are no credit checks.


Student finance Higher Education


If you're studying full-time


You may be eligible for student finance if your course is in the UK and one of the following:


  •     a first degree, for example, BA, BSc or BEd

  •     a Foundation Degree

  •     a Certificate of Higher Education

  •     a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)

  •     a Higher National Certificate (HNC)

  •     a Higher National Diploma (HND)

  •     an Initial Teacher Training course

  •     an integrated master's degree

  •     a pre-registration postgraduate healthcare course


Family Action's Educational Grants Programme: This service offers students, especially disadvantaged ones, over the age of 14, the chance to get grants of £200 to £300 to start or continue their education. You'll need to be studying at an affiliated college.


Postgraduate funding

For master's courses starting after 1 Aug 2021, students are able to get a master's loan of up to £11,570. Doctoral-level students are eligible to apply for the doctoral loan of up to £27,265.


Scholarships and bursaries

There are nifty search tools on the Scholarship Search and Scholarship Hub websites – you'll be surprised at what's available. Some are very specific and are aimed at students from various backgrounds.


Care to Learn


The Care to Learn scheme can help with childcare costs while you study. You must be aged under 20 at the start of your course. The scheme is available for publicly-funded courses in England. This includes courses in:


  • schools

  • sixth-forms in schools

  • sixth-form colleges


Adult education budget


The Adult Education Budget (AEB) funds qualifications and programmes for learners aged 19+

To access this funding, you will need to identify a provider that offers AEB eligible courses.

Updated 15/01/2022

bottom of page